Saturday, January 30, 2010

Students and technology in the classroom, or lack there of


The video that really caught my attention was A Vision of K-12 Students Today. It was the only video that I have not already seen and I felt it was a very interesting video that really got to the heart of the matter. Students today are digital learners, they have grown up with technology in their homes and in school, they have matured along with it. Students are accustomed to using all different forms of media and technology outside of the classroom, but while they are in the classroom, so many teachers don't use technology or don't know how to use technology properly. The section of the video that really caught my attention was when they showed the statistics of how many teachers don't use technology within the classroom to allow their students to create their own work because the teachers themselves have never used the technology. Students know how to use the technology and are being stifled within the classroom because the teachers are not using it, so how is this helping students better prepare for the future?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris! I finally got my second group member. I saw the same movie and I believe we all can be digital teachers with the help of this class. The number of teachers who are not familiar with technology surprised me as well, however, the tchnology keeps developing and if we are not learning new technology, we can also be included in that group of teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,

    That's a great image in your post!

    In your blogroll you need 2 more blogs because Indispensable Tools and Greetings from the World are not wikis, not blogs.

    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete